Monday, May 21, 2007

Sample Kiss, Amber Landgraff


Amber Langraff "Sample Kiss", Photo: anonymous

Amber Landgraff stands outside of The Spa, a beauty salon on Whyte Street. She has set up a portable kiosk stand to display “Amber” a product line of “break up kisses”. As people walk by Amber offers to give people the “ends of relationships” for free. Most people don’t acknowledge her offer and keep walking. One man stops and asks what she is selling. Amber replies in a friendly, yet professionally confident way, that she is offering four different types of break-up kisses, “goodbye kiss, jealous kiss, bitter and unwanted.” He laughs. Then walks away.

I get up from where I sit observing the situation. I approach Amber and ask what it is that she is selling. Her demeanour is approachable and likable, her tone is clear and confident. She repeats the same script, “ I am giving away the ends of relationships. Would you like to try one?” I say “sure” and decide to select the bitter kiss. Amber writes the word “bitter” down on a blank white business card. Then she takes a pink lipstick from the display and applies it to her lips. Looking straight into my eyes, she glares at me while her face slightly contorts, before she says “bitter kiss”. It is a moment when something in our interaction shifts. I laugh a little nervously, a little uncomfortably. I know this sensation, a mix between humiliation and relief. It’s a sensation I have felt before when giving and receiving bitter kisses in public spaces. This sensation shifts quickly to an intellectual realization that this is an action intended to evoke a kind of derive and detournement of social exchanges. I find my own reaction strangely delightful, and I laugh. She kisses the card bitterly as promised, leaves an imprint and then hands it to me. I thank her, not entirely sure why.

Amber offers to give away “the ends of a relationship”, a paradoxical claim that cannot fulfill its premise. The beginning and end of relations are often signified by performative utterances. For instance, the vows of a marriage promise everlasting love, which as we well know, is often compromised. While divorce, the ‘end’ of a relationship, is arguably the initiation of a new type of relation (ie. the ‘ex’, the friend, the co-parent etc). Ritualized events are used to mark beginnings and endings - to mark key moments of relation in time. They are measurements that signify entry into predetermined and recognized forms of relation. Amber’s bitter kiss, given to me in our encounter, was neither a measurable beginning nor ending, our ‘breakup’ is a relationship that is continuing through different forms of encounter.

I would argue that Amber’s kisses are also not free. She offers what appears to be an altruistic and philanthropic exchange with passersby. Like many marketing strategies, corporations and businesses offer their clients free gifts or free use for ‘trying their products’. Inevitably, these ‘free’ gifts work to socially acclimatize clients to the products as a way of insuring future purchases. Does Amber’s kiss oblige me to her somehow? What is it that she gets in exchange for our transaction? I question my own sense of indebtedness to Amber’s kindness and generosity. I am suspicious. Within the flow of capital exchange and the barter system, free gifts and acts of kindness tend to mean that there is something owed later down the line.

In a conversation I had with Amber, she explains her interest in what she sees as ‘the failure of relation’ in this work. She is aware that the intention to do something for free, for the good of people through altruistic gesture is rarely realized. From the performance, it is clear that many participants do not care about the gesture, as they walk by her or walk away from any relation with her (ironically, these passersby have failed to not have a relationship with Amber). Sometimes the affect Amber may hope to evoke is never realized. Amber also raises an interesting key question. What happens when the intention for a performance is conveyed but never realized? This is an aspect of performance that is rarely questioned. The artist’s intention for a work is usually the gauge for determining the success of a work. When there is not a correlation between the intention and the actualization of a work, it is said to fail. This is often the value system used in the art world to assess and conserve performance art works. But how do we account for the multitude of relations and events that occur not as success or failure, predetermined frames of art reference, but outside the conventions that delineate these values of exchange?

There are moments I feel that, as an “invited and knowing audience” it is too easy to fall into the role of a social anthropologist who perceives actions as quantifiable evidence. When observing interventions in public spaces, I try to sit and watch as “a pedestrian on the street,” but this is compromised by the fact that I possess “insider information”. My presence also renders the event more of a spectacle- with the pedestrians unknowingly performing for me and future art audiences through my presence as blogger.

6 comments:

Amy Fung said...

admittedly, I am having a difficult time in writing about this very problem of documenting these performances from a "privileged" role.
with the idea of live art often happening between the artist and the unsuspecting public, what is the role of the documentor? is it to serve as a purely archival resource since it is rather difficult to delineate any sort of textual summary or review of live spontaneous performances/experiences.
it is the interaction between performer and public that is so interesting and besides Lance's piece, the issue of exchange as a two-way flow has been hard to pin down.
particularly with emma's project/research, as I followed her from a distance for over an hour, I felt once removed from being an audience, as an audience wouldn't know to keep at a distance, yet, I think to write or understand this piece requires that knowledge and like your encounter with sample kiss, the public audience unwillingly becomes an important part of the overall experience and maybe that is where the performance lies?

anyways, I do want to share that I will hopefully filter my festival experience down and get it up on my site
www.prairieartsters.blogspot.com by the week's end.

a.l. said...

i have often struggled with the viewpoint of having a privileged audience for my work. for me, it is often the point that there is no "audience" for the work. It becomes a way of being able to work through an exchange with people and a way of challenging the way that we are interacting in the world. When there is an audience member that is aware of what I am doing - whether they specifically come to track me down because of the festival, or because they know me and want to come and see my piece - there is a different experience then having the same interaction with a stranger. There is an expectation there for me to give them something in exchange for them coming to watch me perform - and I begin to worry that i am not offering enough to an audience. It is not a particularly gripping experience to watch people ignore me, walk faster, avoid eye contact. I realize that from a privileged viewer standpoint the performance doesn't seem to offer much - the exchanges that I am offering are very short - they take probably two minutes at most depending on how long it takes to choose a lipstick. However, the performance itself is not entirely receiving a kiss, but it is all of the kisses that I am giving, and all of the people that stop and don't want a kiss, it is all the people that ignore me, it is all the people that turn me down. It becomes hard to document, because the piece is all the moments i am having in Edmonton, but also all the moments I have had with this piece in other locations.
I guess my intention (if that even matters in relation to reading a work, and it is true that it might not) is not to offer a spectacle. Instead I am hoping to fail at connecting, because if i am going to fail anyway then I should attempt to fail the best that I can, because there might not be anything else i can do. and i can't do nothing.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.

Anonymous said...

It was rather interesting for me to read that article. Thank you for it. I like such themes and everything that is connected to this matter. I definitely want to read more on that blog soon.

Anonymous said...

BTW, use Wifi blocker to jam all spy transmitters in your room or at work.

stories lesbian mature said...

Machines dont live. John had more tongue thanAlice knew what do with, a mouthful that overflowed into her throat.
femdom slave stories
sexy lesbian stories
free bondage rape stories
free forced to fuck stories
bdsm stories of capture and torcher
Machines dont live. John had more tongue thanAlice knew what do with, a mouthful that overflowed into her throat.